HDI PCB also calls High Density Interconnector PCB or HDI Technology , HDI circuit board is defined as a PCB with a higher wiring density with finer trace and spacing per unit area than normal PCB. They have finer lines and spaces, smaller via holes and solder pads and higher connection pads density than the conventional PCB design technology. HDI PCB is normally used to reduce PCB size and weight, as well as to improve electrical performance of the device. HDI PCB is the best alternative to high layer PCB, or small size PCB without enough design space.
HDI PCB are utilized to meet the customer demand for complex designs in smaller form factors across the majority of market segments, It is made through blind vias and buried vias and sequential lamination with insulation materials and conductor wiring for higher density of routing. HDI PCB includes laser-drilled blind vias and mechanical-drilled buried vias technology. This technology offers better electrical performance, access to advanced IC package also improved the PCB reliability.
HDI PCB Advantages:
1. Better reliability,can result in improved manufacturing yield and board reliability.
2. Increase the wiring density,can reduce PCB layer count and footprint.
3. Increase design efficiency,can better protect signal integrity than alternative through-hole approaches.
4. Can improve the thermal properties.Reduce the cost also.
5. In favor of the use of advanced packaging technology.
6. Can improve the radio frequency interference, electromagnetic interference and electrostatic discharge .